I have been searching for this cake recipe so long till I saw Clementi CC has a hand on class and the instructor Crystal Kuek teaching this cake. So happy to learn from her but this cake not easy to make as have a lot of steps.
I used half of the recipe to make this 7 inch cake for my 12th ROM anniversary. We all love the cake as it taste really nice.
Chocolate Sponge Cake recipe: (I used half recipe for 7inch cake, full recipe can make 9 to 10inch)
Group 1: 90g Veg oil
30g cocoa powder
Group 2: 5 whole eggs
2 Egg yolks
Group 3: 29g Plain flour
29g Corn flour
(I replace all with cake flour)
1) In a mixing bowl, whisk all the ingredients from group 2 until thick.
2) Gradually add in group 3 and mix well. Do not over mix.
3) Pour 1/4 of ready batter into group 1 and fold well. Pour it back to the remaining 3/4 batter and continue to fold until the batter is well mixed.
4) Pour into the baking tray and bake at 160 degree for about 40 min.
Hazelnut Paillete Feuilletine (I used half for 7inch cake)
113g milk chocolate (I used dark chocolate)
75g Hazelnut Praline Paste
1) Melt chocolate and mix with hazelnut praline paste together.
2) Add in wafers into melted mixture, mix together, set aside.
Hazelnut Mousse (I used half for 7inch cake)
Group 1: Fresh milk 113g
Group 2: 3 egg yolks
Group 3: Dark chocolate (55%) 120g
Milk chocolate 120g
Hazelnut Praline Paste 150g
Group 4: Whipped Dairy Cream 390g
1) Place group 1 in a pot and heat it under low fire till mixture lightly boil. While boiling, add in sugar to the yolk, mix well.
2) Pour 1/4 of the boiled milk into group 2, keep stirring until well mix.
3) Pour this egg mixture back to the remaining milk in the pot, keep stirring and bring it back to the heat.
4) Under low fire, continue to stir the mixture until slightly thickens or mixture has slightly boils.
5) Next, pour the hot mixture into group 3. Let it soak for 1 to 2 min and stir slowly till chocolate has been evenly melted.
6) Set aside till mixture has completely cools down.
7) Lastly, add in whipped dairy cream into the mixture and beat in using a hand whisk until even. Mousse is ready for use.
Chocolate Glasage (I used half for 7inch cake)
Group 1 : 6g Gelatin
Group 2: 60g water
Group 3: 24g cocoa powder (sift)
44g whipping cream
1) Combine group 1 together and set aside.
2) In a pot, lightly heat up group 2 under low fire. Reduce heat and add in group 3 and continue to cook under low fire till mixture is even.
3) Remove from heat. Sieve the mixture and lastly add in group 1.
4) Stir well and set aside to cool down before use.
Assemble the cake
1) Slice the cake into two layers. First layer lay the cake on a cake board with the cake ring slightly bigger.
2) Spread the Hazelnut Paillete Feuilletine nicely.
3) Use piping bag to pipe cream on the side and use knife spread the cream on top nicely.
4) Place another layer of cake, pipe cream on the side and use knife spread the cream and level it smoothly.
5) Put inside the freezer till the cream harden.
6) Pour the Chocolate Glasage and let it set in the fridge.